Monday, September 1, 2008

First...

First, let me say this. I never promised to consistently update my blog. There. This is my second defense of the sort and I stand by my desire to only blog when I want. And...I was at the cabin, lots. And...there is no Internet service or computer at the cabin. Only water skiing, swimming, hiking, running, biking, lounging, reading, and now sudoku-ing (kind of fun when sitting on a porch swing). So with that said, there are other firsts occurring this week which did keep me from blogging sooner.
This Week's Top Ten List of Firsts

10. FIRST day of school

9. FIRST checker boarded backpack

8. FIRST day in a long time that boys are wearing clean, unripped clothing

7. FIRST day of third grade

6. FIRST time there have been textbooks sitting on the desk of one of my children

5. FIRST day of kindergarten!

4. FIRST time riding the bus!

3. FIRST time eating hot lunch!

2. FIRST time I cried while telling a friend about his first day of school!

1. FIRST time I am working full-time since the boys were born!

It's true, G-man has textbooks. A pile of them at that. Roo started school all proud and happy and thrilled to death with his teacher (who he may secretly have a crush on). And I am officially a full-time participant in the work force. I really don't want to. I really wanted my day off to be all about ME. Not home doing laundry and going to playgroups but doing what I want to do. Like ski or bike or run. To get up, get the kids off to school and drink my latte slowly while listening to NPR. Who knows, maybe I'd even blog. But no, I'm working full-time. My friends and family think I'm crazy, and I possibly am. All I know is that for my efforts, I got new bedroom furniture! The first time since middle school! It's amazing to think that EJ was okay with my childhood furniture for 15 years! But now it's gone with a new location at the cabin. So now a teaching friend tells me I can call my room my "Tuesday Room" because I gave up my Tuesday for my new bedroom. Now you may think that personal freedom may be more worthwhile than furniture and I will tell you that you are likely correct in that assumption. However, there is another aspect to this story. You see, one of the other preschool teachers had a baby in December. She took her leave and came back for the end of the school year. Like most new mamas, she wanted to work part-time so she could have some time home with her bebe. So we switched FTE which gives her one day home and me money to redecorate my house. So you see, I would love my day off, but it was time to pass the torch to a new mom who needs time with her little one. I know I loved mine.

FIRST DAY


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am still one of the relatives that think you should enjoy a day at home playing with your mother....isn't that why she moved up to MT?????? Guess she will have to find her own friends and play with you on the week ends...and maybe an occassional movie night....
Still loving you anyway
mom

St. Paul Sister said...

I love the way you write! Blog more!

And congrats on the new bedroom furniture - I'm very proud of EJ for capitulating. I aspire to that and have been working full time for the past 5 years... let's not go there.

Oh your boys are so grown up!