Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy Halloween and Then Some

Okay, we had a really great Halloween.
I wish I could share it in pictures but that would have required me to have a camera in hand, which I didn't. At times something else may have been in my hand, but never a camera. In fact, we were so happily crazy that this is the first year I don't have photos of the boys in costume with their pumpkins. So you'll just have to use your imagination for this one.
Our Halloween started with a very full house full of friends for a pre-trick-or-treat attempt at making the children eat something healthy. There was the most amazing spread of "bloody fingers" "witches brooms" "pumpkin soup" "hummus eyeballs" and one really amazing platter with an entire Halloween scene made of eggs, broccoli and olives which no one dared to eat ...if anyone knows who brought that let me know, and sorry we didn't actually eat it! We did this little shindig last year just for the neighbors and had much fun and success (I am measuring success in how much healthy food my children ate prior to the candy onslaught). So this year we expanded and let the boys invite whoever they wanted. It was big. I recall EJ a few days prior saying, "How many people are coming to this thing?" and you know it's bad when I reply, "I don't really know, but a lot." It was a lot and my only saving grace was that it was nice enough outside for the gaggle of crazy boys to be outside.
When I say crazy boys, I do mean crazy. I should specify the amount of boys we're talking about here. This will also give you an indication of how many boys are involved in our life. Kids only, 27. Twenty-seven boys under the age of 11 at our house. I may be missing a few, who knows. All I do know is that the core group of 7-11 year olds moved in a troupe that drifted around the street as one being. At two points I found them in their Star Wars, ninja, football player, baseball player, ax-man glory battling in different neighbors front stoops. I have really great neighbors, but this was above and beyond the call of neighborliness, really. You know it's reached peak craziness when you notice a friend in full ax-man make up and find yourself saying, "Is that a real bloody nose or just your make up?" It was a real bloody nose, no worries though, he seemed to think it just added to the effect.
By the way, if your wondering how many girls were in attendance (not including Moms). It was nine. Poor things.
As the party wrapped up, they all headed out to trick-or-treat in various parts of town. Except Roo. No, he was having a meltdown due to the sudden misplacement of his blue lightsaber. Forget that he had three others to choose from. He needed the blue one because then everyone would know that he was supposed to be Ki-Adi-Mundi. Right.
To finish things off G-man and I joined another party at a friend's house for a driveway bonfire and an introduction to Young Frankenstein for G-man and a vocabulary lesson for me. I now know what a merken is. It's not a slang way of saying "American" by the way.
Happy Halloween y'all.

No comments: