Friday, April 4, 2008

ALL ABOUT ME PART 3

A number of things are the norm at our house. Busy boys, a dirty dog, running and biking schedules, and clean up. The constant clean up. I hate to admit it, but I can't stand clutter. Dirt is okay, but clutter will make me crazy! I am one of those sorry, sad people that have to clean up the kitchen before I can cook. I can't find anything unless it is in it's place. Now, if I were to try and have 2 (or even 3) busy boys clean as they go, I would pull my hair out. Therefore, we do the traditional end of day clean up. G-man has become a pretty stellar helper for his young age with exception to the banana peels he leaves in his wake. Roo procrastinates, whines and becomes utterly defenseless in his ability to put away the disaster he created (which mostly consists of the 10 changes of clothing he adorned during the day). As for my endorphin junkie (EJ), I really can't complain. Compared to many women I talk to, I am definitely one of the lucky ones. He does his laundry, fixes my bike, takes out the garbage, handles the cars and yard, and is pretty much responsible for the arrival and departure of our boys to and from school. Like I said, he's a great guy. However, even great guys aren't perfect.
The results of our household's combined cleaning efforts are documented below for your enjoyment and/or judgment.


The baskets. Where I suspect clutter, I add a basket. It isn't considered clutter if it's contained, or at least mostly contained right? Just ask EJ how many baskets I have handed him for his piles. In fact, I have him nicely trained to ask for one as needed. I have come to love the phrase, "Do you have an extra basket?" It is now become my adopted decorating style...baskets everywhere.
The fine print...for those of you who are now worried that I'm going to come to your house and freak out about your clutter, I'm immune to other peoples clutter.
Truly.
This picture is for Gramma. I did an experiment the other day after our recent conversations about dishes on the counter vs. in the dishwasher. It was morning, I had cleaned up all the dishes and one member of our family was still eating and nearing completion. I kindly left the dishwasher open for this individual to put his dishes away in (I have three "he" members of my family so the rest of you will have to guess who I'm discussing here). This picture is the result of my effort. Notice the bowl and spoon on the counter. There it stayed. I put it away. I know I'm feeding the pattern here but I was laughing too hard to myself as I took this picture and put it away to request compliance. Besides, now it makes for a funnier story.
After an endless amount of drama and complaint, Roo finally puts his toys and many, many clothes away at the end of the day. As he approaches the end of clean up he makes sure I know that he is done and that the clothes on the floor are "for this next day" (also known as tomorrow to the rest of the English speaking world). This little pile is his security blanket that the exact outfit he needs to look cool this next day is not lost in a drawer or basket somewhere. I can only hope they are clean.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see my slippers are still in the basket...that must mean I am still welcome back to Missoula??
Granny Annie

Unknown said...

You bet! We can't wait!

Beth said...

I'm laughing! Now that we're empty nesters, we realize that although the kids claimed the clutter was ours, it really was theirs!! Now stuff stays just where we leave it. (except for the car key that's been lost for 3 weeks . . .) (and don't get me started on their tubs of stuff stored in the basement and in their bedrooms . . .)

But I lived by Erma Bombeck's poem:

"Cleaning your house while the children are growing

is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing!"

I always chose to go and play with them over cleaning the house. And now I'm really glad I did. But I feel your pain after 24 years of kids in the house!

Love from Beth in Duluth

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

So Beth, I do have hope that one day my house will stay clean for more than an hour?

Good luck with the keys!