Sunday, April 20, 2008

Super Spring Recitals

Spring recitals came on a lovely, warm spring day this year. This was to our benefit on this particular day since it very well could have been snowing. I'd like you all to take notice of the boys attire. Now, this probably isn't the most appropriate recital attire but let me give you some background. First of all, I love our town. It is casual, very casual. I seldom wear make-up, heals, or anything that requires dry cleaning. Not that there's anything wrong with any of those things but they really aren't my gig and therefore I fit right into our low key community. As I looked through the boys dressers and closets for something acceptable for them to wear, I came to the conclusion that their wardrobes lack anything that would fall into the category of "dressy." Now, had I found the dressy items I was looking for, I can pretty much guarantee that tears would have been shed at the thought of wearing something so uncool and foreign especially since my boys go for the skater look. So I compiled outfits that were clean, with buttons, and matched. This sadly included shorts because they haven't had time to put dirt, holes or any other kind of stain on them yet. As I said, thank God for warm weather.

Roo proudly performed Go Tell Aunt Rhody in his red converse high tops since they don't leave his feet. He came a long way this year and is decreasing the amount of throwing he does of his violin (we've replaced two bridges so far). At the awards ceremony afterward, he won the award for "Most Improvement at Lessons."

G-man won the award for "Best Shifting" after mastering Gavotte by Lully. This also required a few "come to Jesus" meetings after he threatened to break his violin into small pieces, never come in for his lesson and crying fits because it is toooooo hard (not that I don't agree). But he got it, did awesome and now says, "Oh, shifting...that's easy." Practice makes perfect.

Mmmmm the rewards. The boys' violin instructor knows exactly how to motivate a child to sit through a 1 1/2 hour recital...sweets. I think any wonderful instructor knows to offer cookies, brownies and such after a recital, but oh, no...that's just not creative enough for this violin studio. Instead, take strawberries, grapes, melons, and pineapple and top with whipped cream. Now when I say whipped cream, I mean continue to spray it on the fruit until the child says "stop." Now what child would ever say, "stop" to whipped cream. These kids had MOUNTAINS of whipped cream atop a little bit of fruit. Perfect.

1 comment:

Stephanie M said...

I LOVE the high tops and the violin - that is hip-hoppin cute!