Wednesday, April 2, 2008

AUTISM

Today is World Autism Awareness Day. If you are interested in more information about autism, check out Autism Speaks. I feel fortunate to be a teacher of many children who are diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, and many more who are suspected. Each day that I teach I see how this disorder interferes with basic daily tasks such as making a friend to washing their hands. I watch parents struggle through through the early stages of suspicion and diagnosis, and I watch these amazing children leap hurdles to make incredible progress.

6 comments:

Stephanie M said...

HI!!! This is fun! I can't believe you're running a marathon! Please tell me how it goes. Mike is running Grandma's Marathon this year, so has started his training. Liam, Jon, and I are running the 5k :)

Unknown said...

Hey Steph!
This is fun! I wanted to do Grandma's but couldn't talk my friends into it. What are you doing up so late...you are an hour ahead of me! I'm having fun checking out your blog too...blog on!

Unknown said...

Wow, to all who have checked recently, I had some brutal typos. Hopefully they are fixed now and you won't judge me and wonder how I can teach...oh yeah, I teach preschool, they don't spell.

Anonymous said...

Good job and I'm soooo proud of you. I think you are a great writer. I forward your blog to a few of my friends and hope you'll get some feed back. Love you
Granny Annie

ciwrites said...

Melissa,
Wow - This is wonderful. You did a great job. I look forward to checking in from time to time and see how this progresses.
Love,
Aunt Carol

Christina said...

I love that you have a blog now! Just saw your comment on ours about how to highlight pictures. There are ways to do this in most editing software, but the very easiest way if you only want to do one section of color is to just download picasa (a google product, available from their website) which is great for organizing photos on your computer but is even better for editing them. Pick a picture to edit there, go to "effects" and click on "focal B&W" - you pick where you highlight color and how large an area. You can't pick more than one area, but you can do that in Photoshop (I'll show you that one if you want - it's several more steps). :)